Sunday, March 22, 2009

noooooooogie!!!!!!!

When I was younger I was even weirder then I am now. Me and Shauna had huge imaginations, and were lucky enough to have equally weird parents who encouraged us to be as free spirited as we wanted. Shauna was missing her 2 front teeth for most of elementary school, since her older sister pushed her off a stool and they got knocked out. One day we were walking home from school, we must have been 8 or 9 and we passed by the local park. We saw a man with a shovel burying something and though this memory is vague,for some reason the scene was cool enough to make us want to go back there with my Dad and dig up what the man had buried. What we uncovered is to this day, the most bizarre items our nimble hands could have found. 2 voodoo dolls,one blue and one yellow. They were tied together back to back with 2 slices of apple in between them. There were also 2 pictures of young women with creole writing on the back of them. My Dad wouldn't let us touch them and instead prodded them with his shovel. Out came a thick, yellow liquid as my Dad swiftly flung the dolls into the flowing River. We shall never know who those women were or what the dolls truly represented, but a small part of me fears that because we messed with the ritual, we have a certain voodoo curse upon us! Shauna also wore black converses every day. When She came to Upper Nyack Elementary school she brought along a new fad. Everywhere you turned kids started singing "stop! in the naaame of loove", because Shauna had introduced my class to it. Once we made a short film entitled "hell in a nut shell." All I remember is Shauna played a jealous ex boyfriend and wore a disgusting wig that looked like Liza Minnelli after a night of fucking a muppet. We took acting classes with an emotionally unstable wide hipped women name Vicki. She shook her ass violently once at a Siggelkow Christmas party while her husband played Beatles songs on the piano. We used to go to Temptations after school and Shauna used to always order the pasta of the day and it was always the same. Plain shells with butter. The coolest thing about us though was our love for the Chronicles of Narnia. Not the books, but the cheap and horribly made 80's movie version. People were dressed up as the beavers. They wore furry costumes and Lucy had buck teeth and there was Turkish Delight as far as the eye could see. Mounds and mounds of it. Piled high like a CIA satellite dish, hitting the stars but going right through them.

3 comments:

  1. Izzy i was literally laughing out loud as i read this. I've heard the voodoo doll story many a time and can only wish i had been there with my frizzy bob, yes, bob as in the haircut. my mother made me have a bob with bangs for the majority of my childhood. it was hideous.
    anyway, childhood for we was a blur of hebrew, witchcraft, and imaginary games of teen pregnancy with liza butler. my only regret is that is that i didn't know you and shauna when i lived right across from the hospital. a pity indeed, but while some will always have paris, we'll always have valentines day lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. izzzzzzzable i just found your blog! wonderfully written! i miss you! - sam

    ps- shauna brought stop in the name of love to the nature place too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it is I! The shauna you speak of.
    Oh dear, bitter sweet izzy. You remember more about my childhood than I my friend...But I have a few lil' memories to throw your way my pumpkin of love...
    When I met izzy rivers she wore tie die and refused to allow matching. We used to be...cruel, yes cruel to those who wore pink or matched. We thought that made us feminists. Izzy, me and our dear friend Jessi Olsen also created a close and covert organization known for its spit soup. I remember once we were playing with our witchcraft. Jessi was the witch doctor and izzy hurt herself. I gave izzy what I've now come to realize was a beet and she smothered the juice onto her wound. She said it hurt, so it had to work. This was the proudest moment of my life.
    Izzy and I also found ourselves in hartels quite often. We would get the foot long bubble gum and our personal selections for ice cream. Izzy always got the choclate eclair and I the strawberry. It was a point of contention in our friendship...i've never forgotten. We also used to play a game where we'd put on classical music and I would try to eat her feet...I have never understood the reason for this.
    Finally I come to the point of this stroll or shall I say gallop down memory lane. I want to address the title of the blog above- noooogie. This was Isabel and my first inside joke. The term noogie is usually applied to when a guy grabs you around the neck and rubs your head with his fist (the Collazouls.) But my sick mind morphed this innocent vision into something far stranger. When I told izzy this, I took a risk that she'd be wierd enough to understand...and she did. I pictured a fat italian chef grabbing your thumb, looking you in the eye and exclaiming no0o0ogie. Izzy understood this...and she understood me.
    I love you isabel rose McMormic Rivers.
    Stop in the name of love indeed.

    -Also, I wish you'd been there too Dani, but I feel that frizzy haired bob cut girl that you were was with us in the form of my imaginary friend Sarah. Why do I connect the two? Because you are jewish and so was sarah.

    ReplyDelete